Friday, November 9, 2007

Isabelle's Latest




Alright, I don't know if it's just my kid or if everyone has trouble at this age. Isabelle is turning into a very opinionated toddler and she is testing my nerves almost everyday. It is nothing short of a miracle if I can get in and out of a store without a tantrum. Oh, and did I mention how LOUD she is. Seriously, I swear you would think I beat her up or something. She doesn't cry, she just screams and whines. It's not cool!! I feel like everywhere I go people are looking at me and thinking, "Why doesn't that lady shut her kid up". I try my best with an array of food, books, and drinks but no matter what I do I just can't seem to keep her calm. At first this attitude problem was just something new in my life and I tried to deal with it the best I could. At this point I'm pretty much sick and tired!! I love my little girl, don't get me wrong but that's just it, I want my sweet little girl back. This monster that is taking over has got to go. So this is her latest thing, asking me for an apple (yes, it's her favorite word now) and then spitting almost everything out onto the floor. Please tell me, is this only going to get worse? Is there any light ahead for me, or am I doomed to a life filled with the ever present glare of those who don't yet have children and those who don't want them? Advice please!!!!!

4 comments:

Melanie said...

That apple thing is hilarious! Maybe try peeling them and see if she'll actually swallow? As far as the dirty looks go, it's just lame of people and sometimes I stare back. G has started throwing grand tantrums in shopping carts and had quite the doozy the other day at Market Basket. Honestly, it's hard when they're as little as Izzy, and distraction or removing from the situation is the only things I've found that work. But G didn't throw tantrums as young as Izzy, so it may not work. If I think of or discover anything brilliant on the tantrum taming front, I'll let you know!

BTW, I love your profile description. Too funny!

Madsen Family said...

Hi Hillary! I am so glad you found our blog so that I could find yours. I can't believe how fast Isabelle has grown up - what a cutie. Anyway, just wanted to say hi. Good luck with the tantrums.

heidirees said...

OK, here's my advice. Be super consistent. If you give her an apple, after the first bite or piece she puts on the floor, take the apple away. Then let her try again the next day. Kids will always test your limits, even when you think they know better. Even though she's young, she'll learn pretty fast that if she wants an apple, she better not throw it on the floor. As for tantrums, it's just a stage, when they learn to communicate better, they'll lessen. Although, I don't think they ever really go away. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I think their dad's train them to scream anytime we're about to spend money. Fortunately Ethan's gotten better, but I'm not looking forward to the terrible two's! BTW-site looks awesome and your family pics are so adorable!